I realise I’m a month delayed starting Jason Vales Summer Juice Detox, but better late than never eh?
Myself and my boyfriend have decided to try the 5 day Detox (as the 7 day just isn’t feasible at the mo), his aim is to lose a few pounds and mine is to flush out my insides- they’ve gotten a bit murky looking over the summer.
We did a massive shopping hall in Aldi on Sunday and bought the Wheatgrass powder in The Hopsack, everything came to a rather affordable €30 (but then we did have the Spirulina at home and were only buying the 1-3 day stuff), and so I very skeptically and gingerly started my first juice detox…
Day 1, I have to admit that I was presently surprised…
- What do you need? A juicer (here’s my baby), a shed load of fruit and veg, some super-foods to add to the drinks, a blender and either the 7lbs in 7 Days book (I picked mine up from the local library) or the App.
- How many juices do you have a day? You are supposed to have 5 juices a day but today we only had 4 as we were stuffed after our ‘dinner’ juice (seriously! OK we were also a little ‘juiced out of it’ and couldn’t face making another one)
- What did the juices taste like? They were all actually really yummy. I’m OK with green, kale filled smoothies and juices at this stage, but I was still pleasantly surprised to find these juices include lots of pineapples and apples in them so that masks the taste of most of the veggies.
- Where they difficult to make? Nope, time consuming sure but not difficult. We made all the AM smoothie the night before in a bit of a production line which definitely helped speed up proceedings.
- Can you drink anything other then the juices? You are allowed all the water/ herbal teas you want. Just nothing caffeinated- so my Green Tea and morning Lattee was out 😦
- How did you feel? Surprisingly OK. I had a sudden and all consuming hunger pang at about 16:30 when in work but by the time I got home and drank my ‘dinner’ juice it had subsided. I also wasn’t as tired and cranky as I normally get when hungry (h-angry as it’s known round here). We even found time and energy to go for an evening walk- which is unusual for us. Then to top it all off, I slept like a log last night (and as we all know, logs sleep super deep). One thing, I did notice that I had this kind of woolly jumper effect on my teeth and a kind of gross coating on my tongue all day (apparently that’s a recognised side effect of the Detox) mingin but bearable.
Day 1 verdict: Generally fine- bar the woolly teeth.