We’ve all heard you should start your day with hot water and lemon- everyone from Weight Watchers to Oprah recommends it, but why? Why is everyone banging on about lemon and hot water?! Well, let me tell ya…
As I mentioned before, I’ve been doing some research into Ayurveda practices, which is where this practice actually originates from. It says drinking hot water and lemon each morning will ‘align the body with nature’s rhythms and balance the doshas’… which basically is a load of gobbildygook to me!
So I’ve looked else where and here’s some reasons to get on board:
1. Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
2. Aids digestion: Science Bit: the warm water serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis and the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving. The non science bit: This stuff keeps you regular.
3. Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in Vitamin C- Vitamin C is great for fighting colds.
4. Balances pH: Lemons are an alkaline food. I’ll fill you in on this soon but alkaline (as apposed to acidic foods) promote an alkaline body, which is really the key to good health.
5. Stimulates the liver: aka great for a hangover!
I try to have a cup of warm water (not boiling- as you’ll destroy the live enzymes in the lemon) and the juice from half a lemon every morning and feel nicely ‘cleaned out’ and cleansed by the time breakie/ lunch comes around. I also like the calming effect it has on, what can be frantic, morning routine!
PS I’ve also heard adding a sprinkle of cayenne pepper with lemon increases the detoxing effect and raises the temperature of your body increasing your metabolism but I’m not too fond of the taste that early in the morning, so I’m leaving that step out.
This Food Babe blog post really hit the benefits home to me.